Our friend, Courtney, just attended her daughter's "Native American Pow Wow" at school. I love the Thanksgiving celebrations focused on the Pilgrims and Indians, giving thanks, and nutrition (the nutrition part always makes me chuckle as Thanksgiving is, after all, the most overindulgent holiday out there!).
At the Pow Wow, the kids created a "Blessings Mix", focusing on the symbolism of Thanksgiving:
• Bugles: Shaped like a cornucopia or Horn of Plenty, a symbol of our nation's abundance.
• Pretzels: Arms folded in prayer, a freedom sought by those who founded our country.
• Candy corn and popcorn: The sacrifices of the Pilgrims' first winter. Food was so scarce that settlers survived on just a few kernels of corn a day.
• Nuts or seeds: Promise of a future harvest, one we will reap only if seeds are planted and tended with dilligence.
• Dried fruits: Harvest gifts from our bountiful land.
• M&M's: Memories of those who came before to lead us into a blessed future.
• Hershey's hugs and kisses: The love of family and friends that sweetens our lives.
I love this idea and think it would be a perfect activity for kids on Thanksgiving. I took the liberty of redesigning the label with my brand new font – click on the file below to download the PDF. Enjoy!